Lung conditions that cause breathing problems and may benefit from physiotherapy include the following:
- COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease)
- Cystic Fibrosis
- Lung Cancer
- Post-Operative Care
- Recurrent chest infections
- Breathing issues arising from spinal cord injury, neuromuscular weakness, or developmental delay.
Physiotherapy also forms a key part of the rehabilitation for the following Cardiac conditions:
- Myocardial Infarction (Heart Attack)
- Heart Surgery
- Heart Failure
- Atrial Fibrillation
- Cardiac Arrest
What will my Physiotherapist do for me?
At Tyrrell Physiotherapy, Swords, Co. Dublin we will first assess your individual problem and then devise a specialised treatment plan for cariac care or respiratory care which may incorporate any or all of the following:
For patients with lung problems:
- Breathing exercises – techniques to reduce shortness of breath or aid clearance of mucus/phlegm
- Manual techniques – percussion and vibrations to loosen mucus/phlegm.
- Positioning – to optimize lung expansion and secretion clearance.
- Exercise programmes – improving activity levels and fitness.
- Education/Self-Management – advice on the correct use and purpose of inhalers, nebulisers, and oxygen.
For patients with heart problems:
- Breathing exercises – techniques to reduce shortness of breath and aid clearance of mucus/phlegm.
- Manual techniques – vibrations to loosen mucus/phlegm
- Advice – on the use of inhalers, nebulisers and volumatics.
- Advice – on bone health for those who are inactive as a result of their breathing difficulties or for those using oral steroids.
- Advice – on thoracic mobility and posture, which are an important part in preventing long-term back problems in patients with breathing difficulties.
- Exercise programmes – this can include cardiac rehab classes, heart failure classes, community physiotherapy.
If appropriate, your physiotherapist will liaise with your doctor, hospital consultant or other health care professional, to help you manage your heart or lung condition to the best of your ability.Book an appointment