At Tyrrell Physiotherapy, Swords, Co. Dublin we will carry out an initial assessment to gain an insight into your condition and the main difficulties that you are experiencing. This will include questions about your symptoms and activity limitations as well as your general medical history.
Following this, your physiotherapist will carry out a detailed neurological assessment to identify your physical impairments. This is likely to include an assessment of muscle strength and muscle tone, joint flexibility, your walking, balance and functional ability.
Together with your physiotherapist you will establish specific goals to achieve with Parkinsons disease therapy. Your Physiotherapist will then recommend an individualised treatment plan to help you achieve these goals.
What are the Parkinsons disease treatments?
The treatments recommended by your Physiotherapist will be based on the results of your assessment and agreed goals and will be specifically tailored to you. Your individual treatment plan may incorporate some of all of the following:
- Advice and Education
- Postural training
- Normal movement re-training
- Mobility training and re-education
- Provision of splints or walking aids
- Stretching and strengthening exercises
- Balance re-education and rehabilitation
- Falls prevention
- Home exercise programmes
- Advice on lifestyle and fatigue management
- Addressing issues to prevent long term problems from presenting